Wednesday, April 21, 2010

the shake






An early morning just perfect too move stuff around. I snuck out of the house at 6:15. It was nice and calm out and I was patiently waiting for the tide to come in another foot. but it didn't. I guess when I loaded the skiff it must have been a very high tide. Because it barely even reached the boat today. The next higher tide will be on the weekend so I guess I am gonna have to wait. Oh well..there is lots of shakes to split. I spent the morning combing the beach for perfect logs. It is alot easier to pack good shakes..than trying to make shakes with shitty logs. If the shake has any twist it is a pain when putting them on the roof. When you find a good log it is so rewarding..doesn't take long to make a whole bunch of high quality stuff. But a crappy log...one with lots of knots and twist isn't worth even trying. No matter how close it is too the job site. I couldn't find any logs as good as the ones Josh and I had last fall. I spent all morning and made three piles of shake. They are currently stacked on the beach..in the morning I am gonna take a boat and go collect them all. This afternoon I worked inside Ben boat shed. Using his table saw and chop saw. I built a stool..a kids picnic table..and a set of steep stairs. The picnic table is so Liam has some where to play..while I am working. The ladder is for dad's cabin. Now it should be alot easier to get into the loft. It is a royal pain trying to get Sydney up there for her naps. Now it should be alot better.
Jana made bread and checked the mail..yahoo are first letter. We had fresh cinnamon buns(thank you lily) on Shannon's front lawn while the sun shone. The gurls were busy gardening (planting flowers in an assortment of pots)........

2 comments:

  1. Thats a good picture of the shakes and hammer. How about some of your new Picnic Table. Is that for Opa's deck then?
    Uncle Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, I do wish I had lots of those shakes to re-do our roof here in Abby, so the racoons wouldn't be able to make holes anymore.It's hard to find such nice thick shakes... That reminds me of when your Opa was splitting his own shakes for his house back in the 70's!

    ReplyDelete