Monday, April 26, 2010

chimney






Today's mission: finish the chimney. I needed two more floorboards. First go plane them. They have been drying nicely and are a lot easier to clean-up. The only hard part is packing those $%%@$# 20 footers down the boardwalk. I got them up. To install the chimney mount I need a circle hole cut in the ceiling 14 inches wide. No jig saw here..so that means I have to drill a thousand holes and chisel and smash it out. But it turned out good. Always gotta doing things the hard way though. It felt good to put the chimney cap on though. I do need some high-heat silicone to seal it..oops forgot that..maybe I can borrow some locally.
By the time the chimney was done it was time to try and move the skiff with the windows. Finally the tide is high enough. The weather isn't dead calm...so I am not quite ready to move it all the way. But I wanna put it in a better spot...more protected and accessible. I need to tow it with another skiff. So I brought one over. But the water wasn't quite high enough. Great I can go have lunch. So I left it tied up on a nice big log...no problem..(yah right) As I was putting my boots on to go back out. Someone came running in..."hey that skiff is gonna sink out there". I ran out to see. On this big log there was a knot. The knot grabbed the side of the boat. It was kinda of a freak accident. The knot only stuck out about 4 inches..but somehow it managed to hold on. It was tipping the boat completely over. As I ran up...the prop was completely out of the water. The water was just starting to come in over the side. "You might want gumboots" the spectator yelled. No time for that. I scrambled on a log out to the boat. As it was filling up I tried to pry it out from under the log. It wasn't working. So I jumped in the boat..now it was really filling up. Once the boat started to sink..it got low enough to pop out. Thank You. Now I was standing in a boat knee deep in water....everything floating around me. Luckily there was a bucket. Took me 20 minutes to get bailed out. Sure glad Ben's new motor didn't go under. I spent the rest of the day..in wet boots. I am just sad I never got a picture. I did get a picture of them unloading a logging truck. It takes a little while to unload a logging truck with a chain and a crane. But it works.

2 comments:

  1. Impressive Chimney, looks pretty good. It really sounds like you could use some man help out there for a few days. Sorry nothing coming from my way yet. I'm still hoping but only God knows.
    Well keep your chin up and your boats a float.
    Still very much Jealous.
    Uncle Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey John, just catching up on the chatter. Sure don't want to lead you astray, but the fish story sounded good the first way. In a way too bad you had to come clean so to speak. Nice cabin, nice name and nice blog. You really have an opportunity that not many people can relate to. Have a wonderful build and enjoy the adventure. Uncle Dirk

    ReplyDelete