Saturday, April 16, 2011

frost






so this morning we woke up to a surprise...frost. Man when will winter ever end. The whole boardwalk and deck on the beach was covered in the terrible white stuff. As I walked down to the beach in my crocks to drink my morning tea...I had to be very careful not too slip. Here we thought the kids would finally be able to play outside in there shorts and t-shirts. Nope... better keep on those sweaters kids! At least the sky is clear. By mid morning the sun had dried and warmered everything up. Since there is no wind it was a perfect day to mess about in a boat. The community crab traps needed to be set and baited. So that was my job. Only problem was when I pulled up the rope..the old rotted rope..it broke. But since the water is so clear this time of year I could see the crab trap directly below me..about 25 feet. Now what. Well I quickly threw the anchor out. Rigged up a hook line with my gaff..and went fishing. In about 15mins I had the crab trap on board. Now they had been sitting out there for about 2 months...unattended. The few crabs that were unlucky enough to be in there..looked very sketchy. Very much alive but covered in black slime and kind of thin looking. No way I was gonna eat them. too bad I didn't take a picture. Anyways got the trap baited and off to try some fishing. Nothing....not a nibble..I just tried jigging in front of our place. When Jana and Liam came down to the beach to say Hi..I just had to take a picture. The water is so clear and clean this time of year.......in few weeks the Skeena will start puking out all that muddy snow water and ruin it.
Jana also put the finishing touches on our stools. Some sanding and a little varathane They were fun to build. A mixture of driftwood with yellow and red cedar scraps. Now we are ready to host a big group meal. Seats for everyone! Who will it be?

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, Jon, that is sooo rough with the frost. I can't believe you had to be careful while walking to the beach in you4 crocs, and your kids had to wear sweaters??!??! Someday, someday they will be able to wear shorts. Thinking of you as you try to cope with all that "terrible white stuff".
    love, sis
    p.s. I might have to teach you how to write with sarcasm because you really don't seem to get it at all...

    ReplyDelete