Monday, April 18, 2011

the big cedar tree experience




so today after one failed attempt (due to blizzard like conditions) I managed to bring some lumber around the point to ons tweede huis. I needed some 2x4 so I could finish framing the "spare room" for when Eric and Bethany come. Anyways I had notice this green tree floating around in the bay. You can see it way in the background on the photo of us unloading lumber. So I went to check it out. It was big. I hooked a rope to it....and tried to pull it nothing. The boat just zig and zagged back and forth but no forward. While I was messing around trying to tie a longer rope on..the wind changed. A little storm rolled in and started blowing us into our little bay. So I decided to push it instead. That actually worked. Still painfully slow progress. The other driftwood around us..was passing us..even though I had the motor pushing. This thing is big and has a heavy..massive root wad on it. I am not sure where this big cedar tree came from..but it is mine now. Kind of like having a whale on the beach...tomorrow morning on the low tide I am gonna start cutting into it....I might need a bigger chainsaws....stay tuned.



2 comments:

  1. At first I thought the first picture of the tree was an island, that is crazy. Good luck with the cutting, well maybe the cutting won't be as bad as trying to get the pieces up on shore. Maybe Liam can start training pinching crabs to help pack the wood to the house. That one tree should be enough wood to build a whole village, can I put in a request for a cabin now?

    ReplyDelete